We are happy to announce an exciting new addition to our A11 product line – the A11 BLE with Bluetooth Low Energy 5.0 receiver!Read more
In this article we introduce an easy way to use the Aplicom Data Service (ADS) and the open source data visualization solution Grafana to conveniently display time-series data of IoT devices. To make it easy, we have wrapped all the needed tools and configurations into Docker containers. This setup can be used as a quick demo and as a verification environment for ADS-based Telematics/IoT systems. Naturally, these ideas and components can also be used as a basis for actual production systems.
The test environment package consists of following parts:
- Aplicom Data Service (ADS), a cloud service that collects data from Aplicom A-Series telematics devices. ADS takes care of delivering this data over a secured connection to a server, and performs data parsing so that the data is accessible over an API in JSON format. More information…
- Node-RED, a tool for wiring together hardware devices, APIs, and online services. Node-RED provides a browser-based editor that makes it easy to wire together flows using the wide range of nodes. Node-RED is used here to periodically save the data from ADS to a database. More information…
- InfluxDB, a time series database designed to handle high-volume write and query loads. InfluxDB is widely used for monitoring data in storage systems and real-time data in the IoT industry. More information…
- Grafana, a cross-platform, open source measurement analysis and visualization tool, which can be used to query and visualize the collected data. Grafana has many in-built visualization types and additional visualizations are provided as plugins. Grafana also supports multiple different data sources which can be combined into common dashboards. You can also use Grafana as an alerting system.
- Docker containers are used here to enable easy installation of the environment. More information…
How to get started
Installing the system is easy, and is not tied to any specific operating system. You can install the system on your local computer or on a cloud environment. In this article we focus on installing the system locally on Windows 10.
Please bear in mind that if you are installing the demo system on a public network please make sure that the services are appropriately secured. Details: Securing Node-RED, InfluxDB Administration and Grafana Security
Step 1: ADS activation
Please Contact us to get an ADS account. You also need some Aplicom A-Series devices, configured for ADS. If you don’t have any devices, please contact Aplicom Sales. Existing A-Series devices can be configured to send data to ADS with Aplicom Telematics SW Configurator. Please contact Aplicom Support for further assistance, if needed. Operating up to nine units in ADS is always free of charge. You can test and prototype on a small-scale, free of charge. Invoicing starts when the tenth device is activated in ADS. Until then, no fees are charged.
After you have your ADS account set up, log in to the ADS Admin UI to get your Apikey.
Step 2: Docker installation
Please refer to Docker documentation for installation instructions for your platform:
Step 3: Demo system installation
- Download the Docker configuration files here:
- Extract the zip package
- Navigate to the folder containing the extracted files and go to the nodered directory and open a file called: Dockerfile in your text editor.
- Edit the ADS_AUTH_CREDENTIALS line to match your ADS Apikey:
- Open Windows PowerShell (or Linux terminal)
- Navigate to the directory where zip package was extracted and run command:
docker-compose -f "docker-compose.yml" up -d --build
Step 4: View and modify to your needs
After running the command, you should see similar view in Docker Dashboard. You can also list running containers by typing docker ps in the shell.
- Node-RED takes care of the data synchronization between the database (InfluxDB) and Aplicom ADS.
- You can point your browser to http://127.0.0.1:1880/ where you can find the Node-RED management UI, shown below.
- For more information about Node-RED, please head to https://nodered.org/ to find documentation and examples.
- You can now head to address http://127.0.0.1:3000/login (default credentials admin/admin) to see the data visualized in Grafana:
After logging in you should see the following Welcome Screen:
- Select the “Map View Dashboard” from the Welcome Screen. If you already have some data recorded from the devices you should see a view like this:
- You can easily customize the dashboard by adding different visualizations e.g. tables, line charts, labels. You can also customize the look and feel by using a different theme, and Grafana Enterprise version allows you to use Grafana as a white label product.
- Aplicom Data Service makes it really easy to integrate your Aplicom telematics devices into your telematics system.
- There are many existing technologies that make it easy to build Proof-of-Concept implementations and also speed up product development. Here we have used some of these technologies to enable quick start for using ADS telematics data.
The Association for Finnish Work has awarded Aplicom Telematic Devices the Key flag symbol in recognition of a product made in Finland.
At Aplicom, we have been working with professional telematic system providers for over 25 years. Today our products are used in nearly 50 countries worldwide, and we are approved suppliers for several major vehicle and industrial equipment manufacturers. Our Mission is to to offer professional telematics that improve user efficiency and reduce environmental impact.
The Key Flag is a sign of Finnish work. The symbol can be awarded to a product that has been made in Finland. In addition, the right to use Key Flag Symbol can be awarded to products with a minimum domestic content of 50 percent of its break-even cost. The calculation takes into consideration all costs related to the product. The symbol is carried by over 4,500 different products, product groups and services. https://avainlippu.suomalainentyo.fi/
The Association for Finnish Work strives to increase appreciation and to ensure the success of Finnish work. The Association manages symbols that tell of Finnish work, influence purchase decisions to preserve jobs and create new ones. More information: https://suomalainentyo.fi/en/Read more
Professional Telematics made easy: Aplicom launches Aplicom Data Service, ADS.
ADS is a cloud-based, secure, store-and-forward service that delivers data from Aplicom A-series telematics devices via a REST API, in a parsed JSON format. The service uses a database for intermediate buffering of data. This ensures secure data transfer from every mobile unit to your organization without the need to set up your own communication server solution, or parse Aplicom binary protocols.
ADS supports all types of data delivered by Aplicom Telematics Software. For new Aplicom partners, this means quick and straightforward integration of Aplicom devices to any telematics solution. For current Aplicom partners, ADS allows new data sets to be added to your solutions more quickly and easily.
The service is managed directly using an admin portal, or through an API. Interface descriptions and developer documentation are available on the admin portal.
It is easy to get familiar with ADS. The service is free of charge for the first nine units, so you don’t need a separate test account to start testing.
Check out the details on our website, and contact Aplicom sales for a quote!Read more
You can make Aplicom A-Series units work without programming. A-Series units come with Aplicom Telematics Software that can be configured using our Aplicom A-Series SW Configurator.
Alongside the launch of the Aplicom SW Configurator Tool 12.0.6, we have introduced a set of template configurations to help you to do this better and faster. The Configuration Template Guide describes available configuration templates, and shows an example workflow for creating a simple configuration. Check out the document on our website to learn more!
Configurator 12.0.6. also supports A-Series shock detection function and FMS standard version 4.0. The major new feature of FMS 4.0 is support for gas-driven vehicles.
Our new A-Series shock detection option can detect shocks and impacts while vehicles and/or machines are moving or standing still.
Previous detection methods required GNSS data to detect accelerations while driving. The new function detects impact solely based on 3D accelerometer data, independent of other sources. Thus, the function also works indoors, such as in a garage or warehouse.
The threshold level for triggering an event is configurable in telematics software parameters, and can be adjusted to fit the sensitivity of the use case.
Acceleration values are measured during an impact. The acceleration value is calculated by combining measured values along all three axes.
When a combined value exceeds a configured threshold parameter value, an event is generated. This event can be configured to trigger additional actions in the telematics unit. Event information contains average, maximum, and minimum acceleration values for X, Y, and Z axes of the sensor. Please note that acceleration values along axes are used as input for the calculation, but they are not intended for detecting the direction of the acceleration in relation to the vehicle.
The shock detection doesn’t require any specific orientation set up so the device can be freely installed or moved from one vehicle to another.Read more
In order to act responsibly and proactively during the corona epidemic, and not to endanger the health of our employees and clients, we are now conducting all meetings and sales remotely. Additionally, all of our employees whose presence at the workplace is not essential are working remotely.
So far, our deliveries have not been affected, and we have been able to serve our customers in the usual manner.
As always, we are reachable through mobile phone, email and Skype.Read more